The Open Forum is a creative and collaborative space for the exchange of ideas and strategies relevant to the work of higher education professionals at Community College of Denver. Any and all members of the CCD professional body are welcome and invited to read, contribute, and comment on the Open Forum. To gain access as a contributor, please send an e-mail to Troy.Abfalter@ccd.edu.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Balancing Act

As a student advisor, I understand the importance of creating a welcoming, supportive environment for the students. As Vincent Tinto argues in his research on retention, relationship and a sense of community is key. "You want to go where everybody  knows your name," as the song goes. And if a student feels comfortable coming to us as they face obstacles and challenges, then we are positioned to utilize our skills and tools to strengthen and motivate.

On the other hand, I see it equally important to be an agitator. Sometimes a little "tough love" is needed, and it is our role to push and challenge the student. Carol Dweck makes a convincing argument for this view in her book  Mindset. To reach our full potential, we all need those people and  moments that nudge us beyond our comfort zone, that create disequilibrium and difficulty. It is through these experiences, too, that we grow stronger.

Sometimes a student needs a cookie, but other times the student needs to eat his vegetables.

To me, this leads to a balancing act between being friendly and empathetic, and being tough and challenging. Key to walking this line is trust. In my very first meeting with students, I make it clear: your success is my success, and you are capable of far more than you can imagine; I am here to support you and be with you every step of the way, but I am also here to push you and challenge you. And to live into this trust, I personally have to deeply take to heart what I say, and to do my best to reach this high standard each and every day that I come to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment