The Open Forum is a creative and collaborative space for the exchange of ideas and strategies relevant to the work of higher education professionals at Community College of Denver. Any and all members of the CCD professional body are welcome and invited to read, contribute, and comment on the Open Forum. To gain access as a contributor, please send an e-mail to Troy.Abfalter@ccd.edu.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Inclusivity Changes Lives (Including Mine)

“I came to a roadblock in my life where I had to make a decision whether I wanted to live or not. I come from the streets. I had to learn the streets. I had to survive on the streets. I have been incarcerated before and every time that I have done time I have told myself, ‘This is it. This is the last time.’ While I was doing time, I earned my GED in 1999. That was a turning point in my life. Education came to the forefront of my thoughts.”

I first met Ivory as his advisor in TRIO Student Support Services at Community College of Denver. We were different from one another in many ways: age, race, socioeconomic background, academic preparation, physical ability, vernacular, and life history. I told him that I was glad to see him. I asked him to tell me a little bit about himself. He explained his desire to earn a Bachelor’s degree and work in Human Services.

“Where I was fifteen years ago, there was no love. There was chaos. A person feels trapped with no way to advance, just trying to survive in the jungle. There was danger all around me. But once I came to college it was like my eyes were opened, the shackles were taken off of me. I was able to feel free.”

Over the course of the next four years, I met with Ivory a handful of times each semester in order to answer questions and provide advising. Our relationship unfolded tentatively at first, our conversations focused largely on formal academic matters. However, as I continued to ask open ended questions and listen attentively, Ivory’s responses slowly became longer, more open with the complexities of his life. I felt and communicated an immense respect for the many obstacles he overcame to make it to my door. Each conversation taught me something more about Ivory and about myself.

“Higher education has put me in a bracket that allows me to speak to people that I feel are important. These people have helped me really soar past the doubts that I had in myself. Now I do not feel alienated. I no longer feel like I am unequal to others. It has opened up my eyes to be who I am and have more integrity and respect for myself as well as others.”

Sixteen years after earning his GED while in prison, Ivory prepared to graduate with an Associate’s degree and transfer to a four-year institution. To mark the occasion, we sat down together for one more conversation, the interview cited in this essay. I continue to be amazed by the power of an inclusive educational environment to unleash the dynamism and potential of students facing immense odds.     

“I want to leave a message to my children and others that are still out there in the jungle that anything is possible if you put your heart and mind to it even though it is not going to be easy. I have changed my whole life. I want to be proud of myself. I want others to know that if I can do that then they can do it. Don’t stress on where you were but prepare yourself for where you are going. Appreciate that you are here and have the opportunity. Every day is an opportunity to change your life.”

To be inclusive is to ensure that each individual possesses the freedom to become who he or she is. Awareness of self, culture and socioeconomic systems serves as the foundation upon which such inclusivity is built. From here, we can move forward to implement strategies that liberate us from the binds of unrealized potential, both of individuals and of communities, both of self and of other.

I have been privileged to work in an educational opportunity program, provided the medium to participate in the forging of inclusivity. I have learned immensely from Ivory and many others like him, translating the theories I learned as a student into the experiential practice of a professional.The wisdom I have gained from these experiences informs my everyday professional work - from communication strategies to ethical standards to program development to advocacy. But even more so, these experiences shape the way in which I am present to the world. Inclusivity is a radical hospitality. We uncenter ourselves and open our hearts and minds to hearing all voices and believing in all dreams.




No comments:

Post a Comment